Tuesday, February 20, 2007

So I thought a blog on Fastnacht Day was only right. Especially because it's a holiday that passes most people by without them even realizing it happened. So to enlighten you, Fastnacht Day is the pennsylvania dutch equivelent of Mardi Gras, fat tuesday if you will.. It's always the tuesday before ash wednesday. And it has always been a family tradition to make Fastnacht's which are delicious mashed potatoe and lard based doughnuts rolled powdered or granulated sugar.
Mom, dad and I made 4 dozen yesterday. Me and mom made the dough, and cut the doughnuts, dad and I fried them, and I dipped them in sugar. This is the first year I was present for the entire process.. Which is good.. I'm pretty sure I could make them on my own now. Which is good, because it's pretty much decided that it will be my legacy to carry.
It seems a lot happened today.. although it was really a pretty normal tuesday. Some good things happened. Nothing i'm going to talk about really, haha.. But Things that made my day.
I did a little extra working out today... to try and compensate for the sugar covered lard doughnuts I ate... haha, 5 so far, between today and yesterday. But I don't even want to think about how many calories are in them.... There really is a reason they call it FAT tuesday. lol. But over all.. things have been good.
Oba oba played a show last weekend... with another one this weekend. Andy played with us again last week.. just playing with him is forcing me to get better. I feel like it takes everything I have to even manage half of his off hand skill.. It's both exhilarationg and frustrating.. but, as always I love challenge.. The crowd seemed to like it last night... which was nice.. even got some applause for a solo or two, which is heart warming.
Tonight i'm going to go to borders and maybe pick up a book or two.. but mostly just sit with a cup of coffee or tea and chill. maybe comtemplate life a bit.. haha. I've been meaning to do this for the last couple days.. but it just keeps getting put off.
Any way.. I always tend to post when i'm in a crappy mood.. So I thought i'd share my delighted holiday spirit for a change.
Maybe it's all the sugar.

Danny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home